Safend Frequently Asked QuestionsAnswers to the most commonly asked Safend questions.
- What does Safend do?
- What is an "endpoint"?
- What kinds of devices are commonly connected at endpoints?
- What risks are associated with these devices connected at endpoints?
- Is endpoint security a serious issue?
- What products does Safend offer and what do they do?
- Why do I need additional endpoint protection if we have the latest versions of Microsoft Windows and a firewall deployed?
- How do Safend products compare to other endpoint solutions available today?
- Does Safend have any type of ‘software assurance’ or maintenance program?
- What new Safend products are on the horizon?
- Where can I get answers to questions not addressed here?
1) What does Safend do?
Safend Data Protection Suite protects organizations from data leakage and theft with a single software product providing granular port and device control, transparent hard disk encryption, comprehensive removable media encryption and accurate content control. It provides complete protection of sensitive data-in-use, data-at-rest and data-in-motion, without sacrificing productivity.
2) What is an "endpoint"?
"Endpoint" refers to all enterprise workstations, laptops, and kiosks.
3) What kinds of devices are commonly connected at endpoints?
A myriad of devices are connected to endpoints, including:
- media players
- multi-function peripherals (scan/fax/print)
- Disk on Keys
- removable hard-drives
- other portable storage devices
4) What risks are associated with these devices connected at endpoints?
Endpoints can present serious risks to the network and the organization as a whole:
- Data Leakage: Large amounts of sensitive information and Intellectual Property can be stolen through endpoints
- Infiltration: Malicious code including viruses, worms and Trojan horses can be infiltrated through endpoints
- Non-Compliance: Personal information may be exposed at endpoints, leading to non-compliance with data privacy laws such as HIPAA and the Sarbanes Oxley Act.
5) Is endpoint security a serious issue?
Endpoint security is a bona fide issue documented by analysts, the media, and organizations that have suffered losses because they did not have an endpoint security solution in place.
While most organizations adequately protect Internet connections via TCP/IP ports (for example, using a firewall), endpoints are often overlooked. An increasing amount of data points to the need to add endpoint protection to any proactive security policy:
- “Data theft accounted for over $50B in losses [in 2004] in America alone.” - The Economist (6/18/2005)
- “50% of security incidents originate from within an organization.” - 2005 FBI / CSI Survey
- “70% of security breaches that involve losses over $100,000 are perpetrated from inside the enterprise.” -Vista Research
- “[Endpoint security] is an important issue for the enterprise to address because so much information theft leaves through [peripheral] devices.” -Forrester Research
Further, devices continue to proliferate. There are over 26,000 different USB products available today. 700 million USB devices were shipped in 2004 alone. The total number of endpoint devices available (USB and otherwise) is over 2 billion.
6) What products does Safend offer and what do they do?
Safend Data Protection Suite protects organizations from data leakage and theft with a single software product. It provides complete protection of sensitive data-in-use, data-at-rest and data-in-motion, without sacrificing productivity.
Safend Data Protection Suite consists of Safend Protector with its two add-on modules - Safend Encryptor and Safend Reporter. Safend Protector provides an enterprise grade, client-server management infrastructure for endpoint port control, device control and removable media encryption. Safend Encryptor, a license activated add-on module, expands the product security capabilities to protect the data on the endpoint in case of lost or theft. Safend Reporter add-on module provides visibility into the security status of the organization with automatic report generation. All functionality is provided by a single software product, with a single management server and a single lightweight agent.
Safend Auditor is an additional clientless software for immediate risk assessment through endpoint port and device auditing.
7) Why do I need additional endpoint protection if we have the latest versions of Microsoft Windows and a firewall deployed?
Operating systems such as Microsoft Windows XP have only limited endpoint security functionality built-in. Endpoint security is not included in domain controlling and management software, nor in network security solutions such as firewalls. A separate, incremental solution like Safend is required to gain full visibility and granular, flexible control of all endpoints.
8) How do Safend products compare to other endpoint solutions available today?
Safend products enjoy Data Protection Suite has several advantages over other endpoint security products:
- Safend Data Protection Suite allows you to control all your data protection measures with a single management server, single management console and a single lightweight agent.
- Operational friendly deployment and management
- Best of breed port and device control, with instant visibility of connected devices (both current and past), and granular, flexible control over all physical and wireless ports.
- Hard disk encryption is completely transparent and does not change end user experience and common IT procedures
- Comprehensive and enforceable removable media encryption
- Full control over sensitive data both inside and outside organizational network
- Track file transfers from encrypted devices even on non-corporate computers
9) Does Safend have any type of ‘software assurance’ or maintenance program?
Yes, Safend offers a comprehensive maintenance and support program for all customers. This program assures customer access to software bug fixes, updates and version releases. The program can be purchased for a one-, two- or three-year period, which can then be extended on an annual basis.
10) What new Safend products are on the horizon?
Safend has a very aggressive development cycle and strives for frequent product updates. Future versions will include even more granular control of an expanded number of endpoints, including mobile devices, and also include enhanced scalability and management features. Since Safend recognizes the importance of Content Awareness as part of a data protection solution, we intend to introduce a new add-on product to our offering, Safend Inspector, during 2009. This product will further strengthen our offering by providing a comprehensive, accurate endpoint based data protection solution which enforces a data centric security policy across approved data transfer channels.
11) Where can I get answers to questions not addressed here?
For additional product information and answers to questions not addressed here, please contact us at Info@PortProtector.com or by calling us Toll Free at 800-886-5369.